It is well known that modern technology plays a big part in modern education! Using the cloud in education and research is more than evident, especially since the pandemic started to arise. Nowadays, cloud computing is referred to as the future of education.
The days of floppy disks and all kinds of heavy textbooks are long gone, and educators from K-12 schools, universities, and colleges are all starting to use the cloud to enhance the student’s productivity and improve the overall study experience.
When I was studying, I was always trying to find someone to help me with my homework. Today, I can easily find satire essay examples for college or researching any topic is at the tip of my fingers!
The cloud allows students access to lots of research materials and offers them help with their homework. In other words, it improves the accessibility to study materials, increases collaboration, and of course, it reduces costs.
All in all, this rising technology can make education easier for students, and there are many benefits of the cloud. However, like with everything else, there are also some considerations in this case. So, let’s dive a bit deeper into them.
Benefits Of Cloud
1. Better Collaboration and Interactive Learning
Some classes require the students to work together and collaborate. We all know how hard it can be to get all of the kids to one place simultaneously, but the cloud improves this.
The needed information is not located on other sites. Instead, it is in the cloud storage, and that way, any student that is involved in the collaboration can access the information by themselves, from any location, and at any time.
2. Reduced Cost
Reduced cost is one of the benefits that come with cloud education software. An in-house data center can be costly to run, and cloud migration nullifies these needs.
Cloud storage eliminates the need for professionals who take care of the data center and the replacement of aging hardware. This minimizes the cost of maintaining the data.
3. Improved Accessibility
Physical and digital access to resources (teacher contacts, study materials, and research materials) is a great selling point for cloud-based education platforms.
This simplifies the access to this data no matter what type of device, internet provider, or internet browser the students are using. The cloud can be seen as a great leveler for students worldwide, giving everybody an equal playing field.
4. Data Storage
There is a lot of information that needs to be stored in educational facilities, such as journals, student transcripts, paperwork, etc.
And keeping such documents at physical sites can sometimes be challenging and pricey. Cloud computing allows them to store all the needed information in the cloud, and you can easily retrieve that information at any time.
Consideration of Cloud Computing
Besides all the benefits, there are some issues when it comes to cloud computing in education.
- Less Control – one concern is that you have less control over your features and updates while using the cloud. Everything you upload is hosted off-site, so the cloud’s services handle it.
- Provider Commitment – the solutions offered by the cloud depend on the services of one vendor, and you can’t switch between other providers. So, it can be challenging to choose the provider to move all of your educational work. By signing into a provider, you are automatically locked into a contract with them. And for finishing the contract early, you have to pay. This can sometimes be a huge problem.
- Security – The use of the cloud in education is only secure when set upright. If a cloud system is not set up correctly, hackers can easily access it and steal all the information. To avoid that, you need to make sure that the security of your cloud is properly set up.
- Up-Front Costs – Reduction of cost is a huge benefit of the cloud, although it requires some up-front cash. You will need to pay the providers to be able to use your cloud.
The cloud offers lots of excellent benefits to schools, universities, and colleges. But the best thing about it is that it promotes a better environment for both the teachers and the students. With the rise of remote learning, digital lessons plan, and online courses, the popularity of cloud computing is expected only to rise.
Like This Post? Checkout More