Whenever there’s a discussion about popular social sharing sites, Facebook often takes the limelight and YouTube gets left out of the conversation.
But, don’t let this discourage you from exploring YouTube. After all, YouTube is one of the most sought-after video-sharing platforms with a whopping 2.3 billion users worldwide. This platform is also ranked as the second-most renowned social network after Facebook.
While you and most other people know how to play/pause/stop videos and upload videos, YouTube is a bit more complex than that. It is equipped with an extensive range of features that can enhance your video posting and watching experience.
Here, take a look at some of the amazing YouTube hacks that can boost your productivity and user experience. Then, download the best YouTube video downloader online.
Keyboard Shortcuts for Navigating YouTube
The following keyboard shortcuts will help you to navigate YouTube easily –
- Spacebar – pause/play a video
- m – mute/unmute a video
- c – turn captions on or off
- b – browse through options for caption background-color
- Shift+n – go to the next video on the playlist
- Shift+p – go to the previous video on the playlist
- j – jump 10 seconds backward
- l – jump 10 seconds forward
- up and down arrow – to increase/decrease volume
- / – go to the search bar
- f – activate fullscreen
These are some of the keyboard shortcuts that will make it easier for you to use YouTube.
Convert Any Video Into A GIF
Who doesn’t love GIF? But, not everyone knows how to make them. However, you can make GIFs by learning a little YouTube URL trick.
All you need to do is choose a YouTube video to watch and find its URL (you’ll find it at the top of your browser). Right before the domain name, you need to add the word “gif”. For instance, the URL will read “www.gifyoutube.com/[your-video-tag].
This is going to redirect you to gif.com and your video will already be uploaded and prepared for editing. When you’re here, you will find a bunch of options on the left-hand side of the timeline bar which will be found on the bottom of your video. You can crop its frame, set the GIF duration, add captions, and much more. Then, click on ‘Create GIF’ and then click on “Next”. Your GIF is created.
Share video links that start at a specified time
There might be instances when you wish to share a video, but want to skip the intro and simply jump to the relevant clip. You can follow these steps to share a video that starts at a specified time –
- Click “Share”
- Check the box of “Start at”
- Adjust the time according to your preference
- Copy the link
Pro tip: Put the time a few seconds before the actual start time so that whoever you’re sharing the link with, won’t miss a thing.
See the video transcript
For every video created on the platform, YouTube creates a transcript automatically. This feature helps in making videos much more accessible and also makes it easier to pull copy and quotes. You can see the transcript of a YouTube video in the following ways –
- From the video, you have to click on the 3-dot ellipses that you’ll find beside “Save”
- Then, you have to select “Open Transcript”
In case this trick doesn’t work, it probably means that the video creator has hidden the transcript.
Downloading the thumbnail picture of the video
Do you need the thumbnail image of the YouTube video that you’re watching for a social media post or newsletter? You don’t have to take a low-resolution screen capture and spoil your post or newsletter. There’s a way to save the thumbnail in high resolution.
All you have to do is –
- Copy the ID of the video. The ID is the eleven characters after youtube.com/watch?v=
- Paste the ID of the video in img.youtube.com/vi/[Video ID]/maxresdefault.jpg
- You need to place the enter link into your web browser and then save the image.
Create your custom YouTube URL
Do you want to create a customized YouTube URL for your YouTube channel? You can do so if you have more than 100 subscribers, have an uploaded image as your channel icon and your channel is at least thirty days old. If you fit these criteria, it means that you are eligible for a custom URL on YouTube.
To claim your custom URL, you need to –
- Open the account settings on YouTube and click on “Advanced” in the name section
- If you are eligible, you will be prompted to claim your custom URL by clicking on a link. Once you’ve clicked the link, click on the box next to “I agree to the Terms of Service”.
- Then, once you’re sure that you want the URL that you’ve created, make it final by clicking on “change URL”.
Download royalty-free music and sound effects
Have you discovered the Audio Library of YouTube yet? If not, you are definitely in for a wonderful treat.
You’ll find songs in the music library in about every genre and for every mood. You’ll also find sounds effects like the sputtering of an old engine or laugh tracks.
To download royalty-free sound effects and music, you have to –
- Sign in to YouTube studio and select Audio Library
- Choose Sound Effects or Free music from the upper tabs
- Click on the Play icon to preview the tracks
- Download the chosen tracks
Now, go ahead and show off these YouTube hacks!
Like This Post? Checkout More
- 5 Ways To Stay Motivated At Your Home Office
- Attributes That Will Undoubtedly Impress You To Be A Part Of Bitcoin Trading
- Why is Bitcoin Stable In Value As Compared To Altcoins?
- 5 Pro Tips To Succeed At Enterprise SEO In 2021